Senior PR & Digital Officer
Senior PR & Digital Officer
I am looking to recruit an media officer (Cover for permanent position). You will have experience of working in a media team, liaising with journalists and being able to influence senior stakeholders. You will also have excellent writing and digital skills and a good understanding of what is news. You will also be responsible for managing two members of staff. Based in Walthamstow. The organisation is growing and changing, bringing with it challenges and great opportunities. It is culturally diverse and has a vibrant community, rich in culture and is at the forefront of regeneration in London.
You will lead, develop and operationally manage the team, contributing to the building of the authority’s reputation. To be responsible for improving the organisations use of digital channels and for working with the policy team and campaigns team to help the council achieve its objectives. To ensure quality and value for money at all times. To ensure the service complies with relevant legislation, regulations and policies.
Nature of Contacts:
– Typically involves Heads of service and Senior Managers across the authority, and external agencies and organisations providing advice.
– Develop sensitivity, persuasiveness, and negotiation and assertiveness skills to communicate with diverse audiences in emotive circumstances. Deal with people at all levels confidently, sensitively and diplomatically.
– Provide specialist advice, guidance and support on issues within area of responsibility; develop and maintain joint working and promote the Council position.
– Consult with stakeholders to identify requirements. Communicate changes in policy and working practice to contacts.
- Experience and knowledge of the use of digital media and familiarity of different digital channels and how to improve them
- Experience of creating content across a series of different platforms
- Experience of proactive and reactive media relations
- Experience of providing direct advice and briefing to senior managers and/or elected members on media and reputation issues
- Experience of working across a wide range of communications projects including media campaigns, marketing, digital channels, public affairs and events
- Experience of working in a highly pressured environment and delivering results to tight deadlines
- Proven ability to find solutions to reputation problems and take necessary action
- A strong understanding and knowledge of national, regional, local and specialist press relevant to local government and Waltham Forest’s communities
- An understanding of local government, the services provided by local councils, and the responsibilities a council has to its residents
- Excellent writing skills with a clear, concise and lively prose style, and the ability to write for a range of different audiences
- Excellent oral communications skills and the ability to maintain effective relationships at every level of an organisation
- Ability to translate complex information into a clear and approachable format for a wide range of audiences
- Good attention to detail, strong organisational skills and the ability to operate to tight deadlines in highly pressured environments